Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Eroticism & Creation stories

Our first blogging assignment this week is to write about the connection between eroticism and creation stories. I've been trying to toss ideas around in my head over the last few days and have been struggling to come up with what I felt was the connection between the two.  I believe that telling creation stories and being naturally curious and feeling a need to explain and explore where we come from is part of our nature.  Sexuality and the interest in anything erotic, I believe is also part of human nature.  In this way, I can see the two subjects being linked.  We had reading assignments that I would describe as erotic in nature over the weekend, such as the poetry of Sappho and Catullus who date back to the 500s and 80s BC.  To me, this is proof that even before modern society existed...I would venture to say that as long as we have recorded proof of human existence...we have been fascinated with sexuality.  I also found it very interesting how different sexuality was portrayed in the commonly believed Christian creation story (from Genesis) to the way that it is portrayed in ancient Roman and Greek literature.  In Genesis, Adam & Eve eat the forbidden fruit and when they become aware of good and evil, they are ashamed of their nakedness.  Even throughout much of the Old Testament, sexuality is referred to much more conservatively (and with a lot more restrictions, such as ruling that it can only exist in the confines of marriage) than in the ancient poetry and texts we read over the weekend, where it seemed that sexuality was much more free-flowing and liberal in their society.  I believe they are linked due to the fact that they are both such key components to human nature (eroticism and creation stories) and have probably both existed as long as humans have walked the Earth.  Creation stories have stemmed from and created many religions over the ages (Greek gods, Christianity, Islam, etc) and with religion comes a wide array of views on sexuality within the confines of that religion.  However, no matter how a specific society or religion hides, restricts, or shames a human's nature to be sexual,  eroticism and sexuality will always exist.  This is because, just as it is to pass down creation stories, it is in our nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment