Sunday, April 24, 2016

Hamlet: Other Opinions

In reading my classmates' responses to the prompt asking to describe a character similar to Hamlet, almost everyone chose Oedipus (including me) so I was looking for a classmate who chose something different.  Ashlyn Whetsel chose Achilles which I also agree with, because they are both seeking revenge.  She says "Hamlet is seeking revenge on his uncle, Cladius, for killing his father. In Homer's The Iliad, Achilles is seeking revenge Hector for killing Patroclus." I agree with her but I also think that the both have very different, complex situations and are very different men past that point.  Out of all of my classmates who, like me, compared Hamlet and Oedipus, I think my favorite statement was made by Arin Hagood when she blogged "Even though misfortune has happened throughout their life, at the end of the day they both just wanted the truth. And that led to the destruction of both of them." That was a very eloquent way of describing a similarity between those two characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment