Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Ex Machina/Pygmalion

For our blog this week, we are to discuss the connection between Ex Machina and Pygmalion.  As I had never heard of Ex Machina before, after I watched the trailer assigned to us for class, I did a little more research.  It sounds like a similar concept to an American movie that came out last year that my husband and I went to see, called "Her" starring Joaquin Phoenix.  I enjoyed this movie a lot, which was about a man who falls in love the the operating system on his phone (it was a much more advanced/interactive version of something similar to "Siri" on today's iPhones).  In Ex Machina, a man connects and is very controlled by an extremely human-like robot.  In Pygmalion, he falls in love with his statue.  However, I do believe that the differences mostly stop there because although they both fall in love with human-like non-humans, Pygmalion's statue does become human, and to my knowledge, Ava (the AI in Ex Machina), does not turn into a live human.  However, I could be wrong, as I have never actually seen that movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment